PHPA is designed to provide cuttings encapsulation and shale stabilization. PHPA also performs as a viscosifier, friction reducer, flocculant, and provides some fluid loss control.
It can be used in mud systems ranging from low solids to weighted muds, utilizing makeup waters from fresh to saltwater.
Characteristic & Property
Physical Appearance................................White, Granular Powder
Bulk Density.............................................40 to 46 lb/ft3 (641 to 737 kg/m3)
- Excellent cuttings encapsulator to suppress cuttings dispersion.
- Provides improved shale stabilization.
- Powdered material with significantly lower toxicity than invert emulsion liquid PHPA polymers.
- Can be used to viscosify clear water and low‐solids drilling fluids
- Improves the lubricity of most mud systems, particularly non dispersed muds ids in preventing balling on the bit, stabilizers and Bottom Hole Assembly (BHA) by coating and lubricating solids.
- PHPA provides cuttings encapsulation and improved wellbore stability. Typical concentrations are 0.25 to 2 lb/bbl
(0.71 to 5.9 kg/m3). It is effective in salt muds such as KCl‐ or NaCl enhanced fluids, although slightly higher
concentrations of PHPA may be required.
- PHPA additive can be used in clear water, solids free drilling fluids. PHPA enhances solids removal by flocculating the undesired solids.
- PHPA agent is well suited to LSND Type muds. In reduced‐bentonite muds, it extends bentonite to increase viscosity, flocculates the drill solids for more efficient removal, encapsulates cuttings and improves wellbore stability.
- The effectiveness of the polymer is reduced as the concentration of dispersants/deflocculants is increased.
Viscous PHPA additive sweeps are effective for periodic hole cleaning. Sweeps may be prepared by mixing PHPA directly
in the active system at the suction pit or by premixing a high concentration in a separate pit and alowing the polymer to
fully yield before being added to the active system.
- When drilling top hole, a liquid solution of PHPA may be poured into the drill pipe during connections to help hole cleaning
and maintaining a clean stabilizerand bit, improving ROP.
Toxicity & Handling
Bioassay information is available upon request. Handle as an industrial chemical, wearing protective equipment and observing the precautions as described on the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).